Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

No Habaneros, Please!

Habanero Pepper - Wikimedia Commons
 
No Habaneros, Please
 
I want to eat spicy
not bland but hot
give me jalepeno peppers
and crushed pepper flakes
I want to savor  fire

     but spare me from habaneros!

Give me Indian, Korean,
Thai, Mexican, always
the hot variety with a bite
tastes that let me know I've eaten
I want to savor fire

     but spare me from habaneros!

This was written for Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads: Poets in the Kitchen.  Thank you, Grace! I have had two bad experiences with habanero peppers in my life. I do not desire a third.  I do like habaneros in cheese though!!

34 comments:

  1. haha...i used to have a pepper garden when i lives in FL...great my own seranos, chili and habaneros...probably the best hot food i ever ate was on the tex-mex border...we ate this one thing one night...it was steak and a red chili sauce...it was so good, but so hot we were crying...and drinking straight out of the pitchers...but could not stop eating it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have issues with jalepeno, so I'd definitely wish to be spared the habaneros.

    This was a fun piece. I don't mine a tinge of spice now and again, but I'm not as partial to the fire as you appear to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even take Indian spice Mary so I am not definitely going for habaneros ~ I do like a bit of fire in my mexican food though ~ That's yummy ~

    Thanks for participating in Sunday's Challenge with Real Toads ~

    Happy Sunday to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at that thing gives me gas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like if food is spicy as long as i can still taste the taste of the food.. friends of us moved to india and they were having a hard time when the locals cooked..they always said: we didn't make it that spicy but my friends had tears in their eyes and sweat pearls on their forehead just after the first bite...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like if food is spicy as long as i can still taste the taste of the food.. friends of us moved to india and they were having a hard time when the locals cooked..they always said: we didn't make it that spicy but my friends had tears in their eyes and sweat pearls on their forehead just after the first bite...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oi, what have we done to you? :-)

    On a serious note, "habaneros" are no as hot as jalapenos. I've had both and the latter brings tears to my eyes. That was a fun poem, I really enjoyed. Especially because I am an "habanero" :-D

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, those peppers will bite you back! I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot you can keep, scares me by a heap. Burn my tongue even set fire to my lung, no thank you, but more for you at your zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't taste it yet, but now your poem makes me fearful of trying it :-P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to LOVE to cook with hot hot peppers ... until I touched my eye one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I second that - no habaneros for me either! too spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is fun! "I want to savor fire". Me, not so much. Fun poem, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My youngest brother, who was raised part of each year in Mexico, used to eat such things as hot peppers raw, just for something to munch on. The trick, he said, was not to eat the seeds.
    He and his Mexican friends ate lemons, too, the way we'd eat oranges.
    This poem brought back many memories of visiting my parents and brother in Baja. Thanks!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have hot chillies out here. It's always a few dishes of hot stuff during meals. We take them with rice. Besides there are chutney-like appetizers of ground chillies with fish paste to go along with all those. You would love it here Mary! Nicely!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I love me some heat! I am not sure about the H ones, either..yikes!
    Fun to read :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the spiciness off these stanzas, and think your narrator takes plenty of heat. I like then=m all except habanera too, but because I feel it has an odd aftertaste, smokey like.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the heat...but with a balance too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah..spicy. I love it hot, but I am like you "spare me the habaneros"

    ReplyDelete
  22. hahaha...What's that, Mary?? Is that something like bell-pepper..? Have never tasted it before! Ah, if it's spicy--I am all for it:D:D
    This was a wonderfully written piece!!Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's no such thing as too hot (at least for me!)

    I looooooove heat in my food. Can't do without a dose of extra-hot spice. I have never tasted habaneros, but jalapenos leave me cold. Maybe you could ship a box to India for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved it and the great flow of it. I'm a mild man, don't like heat in food, taste rather than heat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We could happily share a table, Mary. Our palates are uncannily similar!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ...always loved the spicy foods... it makes my tongue craves for more... ha, and you made this one so easy for us to digest your personal preference... smiles... foods are good poetic topic but too hard for me to put in words... sometime in the future i will grace myself with such succulent take at it... smiles... enjoyed it Mary...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice, Mary!! I feel the same way...it's nice to see a diverse pallet...lately for me it's Indian food...I've been cooking lots of red lentil soups with curry and an organic India spice mix that I have right now!! Thanks for visiting me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heck, yeah. But my son-in-law eats them whole with his food!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry you have that particular pepper seared into your brain. But, alas, so many others to choose from.~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree! Habaneros are a bit scary! They are definitely not your ordinary chili pepper! Beautiful photo by the way. Such lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  31. "I want to savor fire"

    I like that you describe the fine balance between just-enough-spice and too much.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.