Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Green Grass of Home


The Green Grass of Home

The grass of my home
is the greenest of green
greener in memory than reality,

but that doesn't  minimize the yearning
to contemplate one more time,
to stretch out on one more time

the grass from my childhood,
that memorable grass of home,
the green green grass of my home.


The You Tube video features Tom Jones singing "The Green Grass of Home."   This short poem is written for dVerse Poetics where Karin is having us write about 'green.'

45 comments:

  1. ah...i feel the pining of home...and often the memory of things is so much sweeter than reality...but home has a special place always, for sure...

    made me want to take my shoes off and walk in the grass as well...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, to go back is a wonderful thing in thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green grass of home is grand and always can be greener at another land, but rarely is, pfft to the green grass though and the lawn mowing biz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is lovely mary and brings back so many memories as well..we used to roll down grass hills as kids...i wanna do this again...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greener in memory... love that, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and i will sing you too greensongs of greenmemories... greenmemories of the green green grass of our home... how delicate & soothing to read Mary... it brings many a memory of my younger days in rural lands... my real home of quiet nature... beautiful...smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Green grass has the stunning effect of nature's best.Your poem brings back the goodness and the memories. Nicely Mary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my childhood - a lake, green grass and apple orchards.........so lovely, then. A beautiful poem, Mary, that took me back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember my Dad playing this song, it brings me back to those simple days, green grass of home ~

    Happy weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know just what you mean, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! The song is a favorite of my dad's....been singing it since I was a wee one. Love your words, the soundtrack and the nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very lovely, Mary and it took me back to the small town where I grew up ..the smell of freshly cut grass is heavenly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very pretty poem, Mary, that has the rhythms of a song. Works so well. k.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful indeed. The dreams of our youth... Mine is more blue though as we spent the summers close to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess beautiful is the word of the day here. Reminds to of the rolling greens of my youth. Yes, it would be nice. I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The grass of my childhood was covered in daisies, I just don't seem to see so many of them nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People already up and about there but over here we are just about getting up. The pleasant surprise again, Mary, seeing my post preceded me! Thanks a lot Ma'am!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's nothing like memories of home, and lying in lush green grass staring at the sky. Such lovely moments. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see the green hills of my home, it's lovely Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bet you do still have especially green grass in your part of the country, Mary. And even greener in memory. We had lots of lawn but the greenness of it does not stand out to me. And of course the grass of our hills is golden longer than green! I can imagine your green green grass though and it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely. lyrical and mesmerizing. I enjoyed this very much, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, this is a beautiful green...I want to picnic on it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh! I want to lay on that grass too. Sounds so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A serene piece, Mary. Bless the evergreen memories, and keep them in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good yo know it's the grass of home that's greener. So often it's the other's grass.

    ReplyDelete
  26. laughing -- oh how our memories distort things! And a healthy mind distorts them as comfort, fun and love!

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful Mary...where I grew up in PA the grass really was a lush fairly consistent green... here it is pretty diverse, lots of brown patches and every shade of green throughout the warmer months.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Touching..the green grass of home..

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's greener on the other side of memory right? I feel your yearning.

    ReplyDelete
  30. AHH the green nostalgia ... the green smell of bittersweet memories ... home sweet home ... thanks for sharing this Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Green is now my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  32. a perfect poem for today - Happy St. Patrick's Day Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love how you point out that the details in are memory are more intense than the details in reality. Like the grand size of a house that's really more like a cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  34. As many road trips as I've taken, places I've seen, I would always get exited when we were at last approaching the borders of my home state. The green here is different, somehow more lush, deeper, greener than anywhere else I have ever been. Thanks for reminding me of that,

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I wrote one with the same song--very different in a way, but maybe more the same. I enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  36. always greener in memory, indeed
    a nice touch of melancholy without getting too heavy :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh wonderful!! home sweet home. Would give anything to go back to childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  38. .Childhood for me is the sea rockpools and the sand.Green grass is astro turf to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fresh grass..fresh yet old memories..home is a feeling...not just a place..i can feel that too.. x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can relate to that poem so much. In about ten days I will be stepping off a plane onto the green grass of my home. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mary, lazing in the grass, watching the day go by, contemplating clouds. The smell of fresh-mown yards. Sticking a blade between your thumbs and making that funny whistle. There is nothing about grass I don't like. And that's not even counting the kind we used to roll up! LOL. Thanks, hon. Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/03/17/five-years-old-first-circus/

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.