(an unforgettable experience - December, 2009)
Bangkok on the King’s Birthday
I can't lose sight of my group
must keep my eye on the guide,
the man waving his red flag
above the crowd. Keep walking
no matter what. I can't get lost.
When the guide says cross the street,
I weave between cars driven by crazies
who follow no rules. I rebuff fear to
survive. My heart pounds, excitement
blends with fear. Don't falter. Move.
We sweep through the streets
with a throng that extends in all
directions and moves as a wave.
There is no escape from the horde
this day all Thailand celebrates
with fervor, especially here, Bangkok.
It is the King's Birthday, a national
holiday with parades and revelry,
Car horns blare. Bells ring. Sellers
hawk wares. Locals wear shirts
of pink, the king's favorite color,
wave yellow flags as they shout.
I stroll through the grounds
of the ornate Grand Palace with
its numerous elaborate structures
adorned with gold, red roofs,
ornate spires, but always keep
my eye on the red flag ahead.
From out of nowhere a group of
school children heads right into
me. They shove as they press
in the opposite direction. I resist,
use my elbows as ram, keep my eye
on the guide’s distant red flag.
I know I must not panic, wedge
my body between members of
the advancing throng, forge an
opposing path. If I fall, I’ll be trampled.
If I lose the guide I’ll never find him
again. I continue to push forward.
At last I outmaneuver the crowd
reach the peaceful spot where
our guide awaits. Safe. Secure.
We make our way to see the
gold reclining Buddha. Inhale
exhale, I relax in his golden calm.
I can't lose sight of my group
must keep my eye on the guide,
the man waving his red flag
above the crowd. Keep walking
no matter what. I can't get lost.
When the guide says cross the street,
I weave between cars driven by crazies
who follow no rules. I rebuff fear to
survive. My heart pounds, excitement
blends with fear. Don't falter. Move.
We sweep through the streets
with a throng that extends in all
directions and moves as a wave.
There is no escape from the horde
this day all Thailand celebrates
with fervor, especially here, Bangkok.
It is the King's Birthday, a national
holiday with parades and revelry,
Car horns blare. Bells ring. Sellers
hawk wares. Locals wear shirts
of pink, the king's favorite color,
wave yellow flags as they shout.
I stroll through the grounds
of the ornate Grand Palace with
its numerous elaborate structures
adorned with gold, red roofs,
ornate spires, but always keep
my eye on the red flag ahead.
From out of nowhere a group of
school children heads right into
me. They shove as they press
in the opposite direction. I resist,
use my elbows as ram, keep my eye
on the guide’s distant red flag.
I know I must not panic, wedge
my body between members of
the advancing throng, forge an
opposing path. If I fall, I’ll be trampled.
If I lose the guide I’ll never find him
again. I continue to push forward.
At last I outmaneuver the crowd
reach the peaceful spot where
our guide awaits. Safe. Secure.
We make our way to see the
gold reclining Buddha. Inhale
exhale, I relax in his golden calm.
A view of part of the Grand Palace in Bangkok - red roofs, gold, spires.


Wow Mary--getting caught up in a crowd like that is a scary thing. Again something I would want to forget! But I have been in that kind of crowd twice in my life and they were unforgettable times! You caught your feeling of controlled panic well here. I like the photos too. (They look deceptively calm given your description.)
ReplyDeleteSuch an experience! Sure glad you were in Bangkok on the King's Birthday and now now. Beautiful pictures!
ReplyDeleteMary, truly a moment to remember. The detail of the frenzied movements of the crowd, the fear of losing your guide... I really got caught up in it with you. Special occasions in other lands - always wonderful.
ReplyDeletePeggy, yes, getting caught in that crowd WAS a scary thing; but though the situation had its scary parts it was SO exciting to be in Bangkok on such an important day as the King's birthday.
ReplyDeleteDiane, yes, such an experience; and thanks for saying 'beautiful pictures.' I wish I had more photos of the crowd now.
Amy, yes frenzy is a good word, and fear of losing the guide. Especially in a land with such unfamiliar culture and language. It was wonderful, as it turns out, but it could have turned out so differently.
How frightening Mary, as well as exciting. The sense of must not panic, mist not fall, must not get lost, must not die is really strong.This situation really woould have tested my courage. I love the photos and the line about inhaling the Budha's Golden calm.
ReplyDeleteHi Mary! I love, love this poem. You caught the fear (I know because I felt that fear in that same situation). Getting that "flight or fight" adrenaline thang going on. Amazing that you went through so much for the Buddha! =) You're brave, lady.
ReplyDeleteI lived a couple of years in Bangkok and have experienced all this and more. Despite it's size and crowds, I've never felt safer anywhere.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, yes it was frightening. It was a wonderful experience being there on that day, but there was definitely a bit of fear when people were all pushing against me in the opposite direction.
ReplyDeleteLinda, definitely fight or flight...
Stan, no surprise that you felt safe in Bangkok. I really DID like that city a lot and would go back there in a heartbeat. I think next time I'd like to go on a day other than the king's birthday though.
Thanks to you all for commenting. It means a lot to me.
I loved this trip you took us on, Mary. Felt nervous for you as you followed the red flag. To be lost in a foreign land would be a nightmare! Great images you provided with smooth, flowing words.
ReplyDelete- Dina
You had me caught up in the fear and excitement.
ReplyDeletehttp://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com