The form of the English Haiku is 6 - 8 - 6. These were written for the We Write Poems prompt this week.
Happy twilight shadow
swings and sways on my bedroom wall
together we tango.
The cardinal crashes
into my family room window
stunned but flies on its way.
Self-assured pelican
plunges through slick of murky Gulf
snatches a poison fish.
Happy twilight shadow
swings and sways on my bedroom wall
together we tango.
The cardinal crashes
into my family room window
stunned but flies on its way.
Self-assured pelican
plunges through slick of murky Gulf
snatches a poison fish.
Endangered Ridley turtles
corralled into BP burn fields
heartlessly are slaughtered.
How long before calamity
diminishes into old news
and mankind forgets?
Will I sleep well tonight
or be trapped by relentless dreams
that will not let me rest?
Beautiful, love the one about the stunned cardinal.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! My favorite is the first one with the shadows tanging but they are all great.
ReplyDeleteI love your tango with the shadow. The others, make me cry, brilliantly written, and I wish you had no inspiration for them, that this calamity with BP and the Gulf coast and all who live there.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad for the personal happy poem about the shadow tang. Something needs to be good still in this poisoned world and I'm pleased you caught that joy. It is still there. The ecological disaster poems make me cry too. And I hope, if not last night, you still get some nights f peaceful sleep.
ReplyDeleteEach of these English haikus is a gem, Mary. You inspire me!
ReplyDeletehi mary, i like the versatility of your kuz... painful reads abt the pelicans and turtles... it is an implosion of sorts that mankind continues till there is nothing...
ReplyDeleteSix course treat - but I guess as soon as the pictures stop being shown on TV, most will quickly forget.
ReplyDeleteNos. 1, 4 & 5 shine out for me!
ReplyDeleteThe last four haiku are especially chilling, and the first one is one of my favorites. The second one I think juxtaposes with the last four -- running into a window only a temporary injury versus death gnawing at the feathers of every bird in the gulf.
ReplyDelete-Nicole
Strong series, well crafted & depressing. Well done.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading these, Mary. I had not heard of the English Haiku. I will try some of my own now. These inspire me. I love the first one. I lived with the second one about the crashing cardinal. Oh, my, what a nightmare it was trying to keep the one here from killing himself on our window.
ReplyDeleteI felt so many varied emotions as I read these. Great work.