The prompt for We Write Poems http://wewritepoems.wordpress.com/ this week was to write from a position of a member of a group we find distasteful or holding opinions or living in ways unlike our own. Here's mine:
That's Life
There is much to be said for sitting around.
If you sit around long enough someone else
will do what needs to be done. If you don't
work, someone will take care of you. That's
the way it's always been. That's life.
Someone will give you a place to live. Then
perhaps you'll try a job for a while. If you're
late a few times you'll be fired. Then you have
more time to play video games again. That's
the way it's always been. That's life.
If you say you are going to do something, others
will get off your back. If you drive without license
or insurance and have an accident, you don't
worry, there'snothing for creditors to get. That's
the way its always been. That's life.
If you buy things you can't afford, let the bills
come. You declare bankruptcy. You can always
feign sincerity. Never mind you never follow
through. You'll get by. You always do. That's
the way it's always been. That's life.
If you proceate and have no money, you don't
have to feel guilt about paying your share,
someone else will give and pay and do. You've
learned irresponsibility well. That's
the way it's always been That's life.
It doesn't matter if you have intelligence and
could work to pay your own way, you use it
for talking fast, fooling women for a while, your
children for a while, but hopefully not forever.
I pray. That's life.
I've never understood that mentality...doesn't it weigh on them in their laziness? Don't those annoying frays of life, left to others, bother them...at all?! Ugh. Liked the last stanza - whole thing is sad, but often true.
ReplyDelete- Dina
Ballad of the lazy masses.... you hit the proverbial nail on the head with this one, Mary!
ReplyDeleteIt makes me sad. Some adults model poor responses to life for the next generation. **sigh**
Well written and universal.
Yeah Mary I have known a few of them in my day! I do not understand that mentality. My parents taught me 'if you want something you have to work for it'
ReplyDeletea philosophy I passed on to my grown and self-sufficient daughter.
Nice write!
Pamela
The only component missing here in walking a mile in their shoes is EDUCATION. Usually folks who don't have the moral fiber to understand responsibility were not taught that. I don't mean by schools, I mean by their own parents.
ReplyDeleteGood work, because it creates dialog!
You really nailed this. I've met some folks who ascribe to this philosophy.
ReplyDeleteSadly, more often than not, this situation is intergenerational; its practitioners know no other means, having never been either directly or indirectly exposed, thus lacking the resources (physical or psychological) to alter their behavior.
ReplyDeleteSo many good things about this.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful poem Mary. Thanks for reading my poem and leaving your comment. I have added a note at the end of my poem. Poetry is my secret door, and there is only that much that I can open. I hope I have opened it enough for you to step in:)
ReplyDeleteI was tempted to go in this direction with my poem, as I teach students who espouse similar beliefs, but then, they're immature and don't know any better. You handled well the adult perspective of that attitude. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks to Dina, Brenda, Pamela, Amy, Linda, Ron, Dan, and Uma for commenting on my poem.
ReplyDeleteDina, I've never understood that mentality either...but unfortunately it seems to work for some (sigh).
Brenda, your comment "ballad of the lazy masses" rings so true.
Pam, you learned well from your parents, then taught your own daughter good lessons. So many unfortunately do not have role models like your parents, you.
Amy, yup you've nailed it...education from parents! Mostly by example, I think it should be. Kids learn what they see.
Linda F., yup, I know a few like this too...thus the poem!
Ron, yes...intergenerational! Where will it end?
Uma and Dan...thank you for your words.
Hello Mary -- I'm sorry I don't get here as often as I should...I'm planning to be out of town and away from computers next week, so I'm frantically visiting everyone to comment -- you especially!
ReplyDeleteYour poem reminds me of a conversation I had with a woman yesterday who was so upset about this oil spill, but who would not consider giving up her car in a large city that had public transportation. I found her arguments shallow, and I found her to be "sitting around," waiting for someone else to take care of environmental changes (like, what -- the government???). Ah, "that's life." I'm glad you're praying. Good lessons here. Thanks, Mary.
How well you portray the attitude that leads to destruction.
ReplyDeleteI'm inclined to agree with Sharp Little Pencil. My fiance has a saying..."a child lives what they learn". If they learn this kind of mentality from their parents and they do not make a choice to be or do any different, then they will keep on perpetuating the cycle.
I like the repetition at the end of each stanza. It creates a unifying effect throughout the poem.
Well done.
-Nicole
I can sure understand the discrepancy between you and the person you are writing about. It is accountable vs nonaccountable, for sure. Very well written.
ReplyDelete