Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Meaning of Adoption

This was written for Poetic Asides prompt: The Meaning of ___.

The Meaning of Adoption

My six-year-old grandson said to me
Adoption is when a man has a baby.

Hmm, I said, where did you learn that?
In school
he said, but I doubt it.

I said, No that isn't exactly right.
Only a woman can have a baby


but a man or woman can adopt a boy
or girl who didn't come from their tummy.

I said, You came from your mother's tummy.
but did you know your mother was adopted?


He said No, so I explained, which interested
him. He said Whose tummy did she come from?

Another mother who loved her but couldn't take
care of her but wanted her to have a good home.

I'm glad he knows the meaning of adoption now,
but still wonder where he first heard the word.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem on the meaning of adoption with your grandson, whose mother you adopted. I like that he misunderstood and you clarified men can't have babies, but men can adopt babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this meaning of poem - like glimpses into your conversations with Isaac. Will this one go into his book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answer, Mary. Don't you just wonder where all these things come from? Their little minds are going going going non-stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem, Mary, and the conversation you had with Isaac. Kids DO say the funniest things and I remember that I would often wonder where my kids came up with their information. I am sure Isaac will now take up the topic with his mom if he's still interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You handled this well Mary--the ideas kids come up with are so interesting. But your explanation is the one we used for our kids when they were young too. You have such a neat relationship with Isaac and Mya.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.