This poem was written for the Writers Island prompt "Imagine" and for my writing group's prompt "I look at the sky." The two prompts combined well, I think.
Contemplation
I look at the sky tonight,
the moon, innumerable stars,
imagine you in your distant place
gazing at the same night sky.
I focus on the North Star,
envision galaxies beyond,
know despite our separation
we are neighbors on our
small planet Earth home.
Our distance apart is
infinitesimal compared to
the immeasureable vastness
of time and space. I am
glad we share our moon.
You said it... the moon is a great focal point.
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteI like the fact of your title and how the word choices, and softness actually give that feeling of comtemplation. The moon may be a cold hard rock, but it certainly can bring out the poet in the soul.
Elizabeth
I like your last line; it really makes the poem. It's good to consider sometimes how insignificant we are in the scheme of things.
ReplyDeletehttp://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com
A wonderfully written piece! Made me think of the moon we had last night, one of the very few times I get to see it so clear. Rather stormy where I'm at. Great post!
ReplyDelete-Weasel
Immediately I thought of the old German love song - Fraulein - about distant lovers sharing the same starry sky...Walk down by the river...Pretending your hand's holding mine...
ReplyDeleteA lovely poem with musical connections for me!
I've often thought of that when someone I know is in a different time zone and we're both staring at the moon. This is a 'classic' poem, very well done.
ReplyDeleteIncredible poem, Mary. It is so right on, space, feels so large when it is incredibly small, the Universe considered.
ReplyDeleteThis is so right on, Mary.
ReplyDeleteSpace, so small
when contemplating
universe
I saw a beautiful full moon last night.
ReplyDeleteGreat last line to this.
ReplyDeleteA lovely poem for the full moon.
ReplyDeleteI am glad I share the moon with all the talented writers posting and commenting here. :)
This is beautiful, Mary. I was once completely lost driving home after a concert. Knowing we lived more or less due North from where I'd started, I followed the North Star and it led me home.
ReplyDeletelovely...and thaniks for sharing...as we just had another great full moon
ReplyDeleteMary I like the fact that you say hello to our neighbours!
ReplyDeleteGood write!
Pamela
romantically poetic. agree with the above post. the last line really made a strong impact
ReplyDeleteAnother poet's blog to check--Writers' Island. This poem gives the feeling of its title, Contemplation, the rhythm and flow of it. I love looking at the night sky too and always feel my smallness. I am glad we can share out moon.
ReplyDeleteWow. This makes the world a much smaller place. I love the serenity that the night sky brings.
ReplyDelete