Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Lavender Key

Written in Response to "We Write Poems" prompt: Doors.


The Lavender Key

Lost in the shadowy cavernous jungle of her mind
she wandered along the twisted overgrown
path of her jumbled present in search of the door
which would unlock her future. In her hand she

held a luminous lavender key which always felt
hot to her touch, which quivered in a demanding
way when she hid it deep in her pocket as she
tried to ignore its presence in her life. Which door

would it open? Where would the door lead?
Day after day she wandered, sometimes
aimlessly and sometimes with purpose. Oak
door, green door, silver door. Her lavender

key did not fit. She glimpsed other spirits on
other parts of the path, each with her own key.
They did not speak. Each journeyed alone.
Sometimes she would see another spirit try a

door with her key and find that it worked. Then
the specter would walk through the gateway
suddenly bright with light and disappear from view.
When the door closed behind the wandering spirit,

it would vanish leaving no trace behind. Gone.
Only one key fit each door. Day after day, door
after door she tried. Red door, copper door,
black door. The lavender key did not fit.

Dejected, she was ensnared in the muddled
corridors of the present, unable to escape,
her lavender key warm vibrating in her pocket..
At last in her weariness she leaned her head

against a lilac branch for a pillow. Lavender
lilac. Lilac lavender. Before her eyes a small
door emerged. Lavender. Barely noticeable
beneath the lilac bush. She grasped the key

from the depths of her pocket. It began to
vibrate stronger than ever before. She tried
the key in the door, and it opened. When she
walked through the door, she knew that her

life had changed. Instead of a twisted jungle
there was a direct path with well trimmed trees.
In the place of darkness, there was light. Before
she had been lost, but at last she found herself.

20 comments:

  1. This is a special, sweet, beautiful poem, mystical, evokes the shamanic, other planes, the subconscious. I'm glad you found your lavender door for your lavender key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envisioned a supernatural version of 'The Secret Garden' as my mind wandered through your poem. It was a pretty walk I took...

    - Dina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous. A lavender key to a lavender door hidden in a lilac bush. Love this. As Dina says, the idea of a secret garden is so enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary -- I'm with Victoria...this reminds me of a Shaman's trek, trials involved with spiritual quests. Pretty amazing, actually...another side to Alice (in Wonderful Land =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like those contests--will your key fit the BRAND NEW CAR!!!.
    I do like the image, Mary, of the special key. We have it all along

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem about self-discovery and peace. Very nice. Heartspell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Mary. Thank goodness for your lavender key, and your persistence at finding a true path.

    Excellent piece...I may have read more into it than intended, but think it speaks to opening a closet?
    Either way, Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary,

    I found myself following you so carefully—lovely magical walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To everyone who has commented so far, I have loved your comments. It is wonderful to hear what you take from my poem! I even learn something from it from what you say.

    Victoria, I appreciate your comments...I love the idea that it evokes the shamanic, other planes, the subconscious for you.

    Dina, I love that you envisioned a supernatural version of the Secret Garden.

    Irene, I liked your comment that my poem is enchanting.

    Linda, hmmm, I enjoyed thinking about your comment about it being another side to Alice (in Wonderland).

    Briarcat, I chuckled about the contests...will the key fit the new car! And you ARE right, of course, each of us DO have that special key all along.

    Heartspell, yes...self discovery and peace. Wonderful to find.

    Gautani, magical mystery poem...I like it.

    Brenda, actually I was thinking of "violet" as I have a dog violet, but decided lavender went with lilac so I chose lavender; but you are a very astute reader, and I appreciate that!

    Linda Francess, I am so glad you enjoyed the walk.

    Thanks to EACH of you for your comments. They mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mystery of laveder! Gteat poem. Just one question. What color is your bedroom?n

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyably narrated parable, Mary! How true that the key allows us not everywhere but somewhere specific. When we jimmy the lock on another door, as we sometimes do, it can be an adventure but rarely a secure life. Thanks, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's lots of wisdom of this. I like that the door appears where she rests her head. I've found creativity often comes when I relax and allow it to show itself to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In surrender (do we think sometimes - exhaustion?) comes the release that allows what was always there to become open to our sight. And (suddenly!) the key fits the door right in front of us! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this poem. Highly symbolic and the imagery in this is simply beautiful. I had a weird feeling it would be a key to a lavender door but the ending still gives that to us in its vividness, just like the rest of the poem. This has a beautiful spiritual quality to it. Well done.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate the allegorical nature of your story and the rhythmic pace of your lines. I couldn't wait to see what the lavender key could open. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i enjoyed this journey very much....thanks for the trip Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your poem just pulled me along to the end. I was intrigued by the idea of a lavender key, which evokes much. And when I went back for a re-read, I realized, as you said in the first stanza, that the speaker was lost inside of herself. Well done. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for reading and responding! Your words are gold.