I wrote this for the prompt for Writer's Island. The prompt was "Change."
No Change
Some things never change
I resign myself to that.
I can hope for change.
pray for change, convince
myself it is possible you
changed your former ways,
but today I realize my hopes
were based on sleight of hand,
something you wanted to
believe yourself for a time
but more important wanted
me to believe. Sometimes
I am gullible. I did believe
you until last week. I asked.
You denied. But he told me
what he saw. I believe him.
I cry now, not for you, I'm
over that, but for him.
Very strong and painful poem Mary. It hurts so much to give up on someone, especially when you are not the only one hurt.
ReplyDeleteA very powerful piece! Nicely written. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe emotion at the core of this poem really stands out. It feels worse that someone else is affected. We with often put up with something until someone else gets hurt by it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your raw honesty.
Mary, this is potent and stands strong and wise.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
This is so moving and emotional. A lovely piece of writing.
ReplyDeleteMary
ReplyDeleteVery painful piece full of emotion!
Pamela
All you need, just as you begin to renew your faith in human nature.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, yes, you're right..the hurt is hard for both.
ReplyDeleteSystematic Weasel, thanks for reading.
Sleepy Kitty, glad you caught the emotion; and yes, it is worse to me BECAUSE of the effect on someone else.
Elizabeth, I do hope it is strong and wise.
Keith, thank you.
Pamela, thanks for recognizing the pain.
Stan, yes hopefuly faith in this particular human nature will return.
Not only pain and emotion, but also an example of considerable poetic talent. Thank you for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully stated, angry and raw emotion.
ReplyDelete- Dina
Oh... "hopes" and "sleight of hand" should not be in the same sentence - what a powerful image. Thanks for sharing your poem.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sad poem filled with feelings we've all had at one time or another, unfortuately. It's so sad when we are disillusioned; more so because you hurt for another.
ReplyDelete